We are running out of time so this will be quick!
The noms for Supporting Actor in a Comedy, or as I like to call it, the male cast of Modern Family, are . . .
- Adam Driver as Adam Sackler, Girls
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell Pritchett in Modern Family
- Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy in Modern Family
- Ed O’Neill as Jay Pritchett in Modern Family
- Tony Hale as Gary Walsh, Veep
- Bill Hader as various characters in Saturday Night Live
WAIT A MINUTE! Where is Cameron???
Do you think they snubbed him because he’s gay?
Ugh. No time to dawdle. Again, very strong nominees. Except, really, Adam Driver over Schmidt in New Girl? Granted, Adam is one of only two tolerable characters on Girls (the other being Hannah’s gay ex-boyfriend Elijah played by Andrew Rannells), but he’s just goddamn weird and quirky that it almost channels Johnny Depp: he’s weird for weirdness’ sake.
I enjoy Tony Hale in Veep but everyone knows that this would really be a consolation prize for his work as Buster in Arrested Development. And honestly, I don’t want anyone from Modern Family to win out of principle, though I do love Ed O’Neill. This upcoming season of SNL will be Hader’s last, so I imagine he’ll get the Emmy next year.
Who I Want to Win: Ed O’Neill (why the hell not)
Who Will Win: Ty Burrell